About Fresh Start
Correctional Chaplaincy Ministry
Serving Linn County Correctional Facilities since 1972
Lighting a Candle of Hope and Spiritual Freedom… for those who find themselves in some way involved in the correctional system.
What is the Fresh Start Correctional Chaplaincy Ministry?
It is a Christian organization offering spiritual guidance to all people and faith groups.
It is supported in a joint effort with other like-minded organizations such as area churches, businesses, foundations, service organizations and individuals.
A Comprehensive Effort
The Chaplains offer personal, private and confidential counseling for individuals incarcerated in the Linn County Correctional Center (County Jail) and the Linn County Juvenile Detention Center. They also provide support and counseling to the staff of the Linn County Corrections systems.
This ecumenical program is focused on the needs of the individual. Weekly worship services are also provided at the Correctional Center and at the Juvenile Detention Center.
Fresh Start Correctional Chaplaincy Ministry/ Fresh Start Statement of Faith:
Adopted February 2013
- We believe in one God, Creator and Lord of the Universe, the co-eternal Trinity; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, God’s Son, was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, died a substitutionary atoning death on the cross, rose bodily from the dead and ascended to heaven where, as truly God and truly man, He is the only mediator between God and man.
- We believe that the Bible is God’s authoritative and inspired Word. It is without error in all its teachings, including creation, history, its own origins, and salvation. Christians must submit to its divine authority, both individually and corporately, in all matters of belief and conduct, which is demonstrated by true righteous living.
- We believe in the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death. We also uphold the holy institution of marriage between one man and one woman, rooted as it is in God’s creation of man and woman in His image and in the relationship between Christ and His Church.
- We believe that all people are lost sinners and cannot see the Kingdom of God except through the new birth. Forgiveness is by grace through faith in Christ alone.
- We believe in one holy, universal, and apostolic Church. Its calling is to worship God and witness concerning its Head, Jesus Christ, preaching the Gospel among all nations and demonstrating its commitment by compassionate service to the needs of human beings and promoting righteousness and justice.
- We believe in the necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit for the individual’s new birth and growth to maturity, and for the Church’s constant renewal in truth, wisdom, faith, holiness, love, power, and mission.
- We believe that Jesus Christ will personally and visibly return in glory to raise the dead and bring salvation and judgment to completion. God will fully manifest His kingdom when He establishes a new heaven and new earth, in which He will be glorified forever and exclude all evil, suffering, and death.
Correctional Chaplaincy at a glance…
Linn County Correctional Center
Linn County Juvenile Detention Center
How can I help?
Give! Your donation will help this ministry to continue. The ministry is supported through county gifts, corporate gifts, faith group contributions and individual donations. All gifts are tax deductible.
Pray! Pray for the inmates, their families, Corrections Staff, Chaplains and volunteers. Consider becoming a prayer partner and bringing prayer request to your congregation’s prayer list.
Volunteer! Direct involvement is limited and must be approved by the Corrections Administrators, but there are many opportunities for volunteer assistance.
Fresh Start Jail Ministries
PO Box 1322
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406-1322